Naturopathy is a holistic medicine, which uses a variety of modalities to support people on their wellness journey. In practice I use lifestyle interventions, nutritional recommendations and also prescribe herbal medicine.
Naturopaths follow these principles:
- The Healing Power of Nature (Vis Medicatrix Naturae):Naturopathic medicine recognises an inherent self-healing ability, which is superior to support.
- Identify and Treat the Causes (Tolle Causam):A naturopath seeks to identify and remove the underlying causes of illness rather than to merely eliminate or suppress symptoms.
- First Do No Harm (Primum Non Nocere):Naturopath’s use the least force necessary to reduce unwanted symptoms and work alongside an individual’s needs.
- Doctor as Teacher (Docere):Naturopaths educate their clients and encourage self-responsibility for health. They also recognise and employ the therapeutic potential of the therapeutic relationship.
- Treat the Whole Person:Naturopaths take into account an individual’s physical, mental, emotional, genetic, environmental, social factors which can effect health.
- Prevention: A Naturopath will emphasise the prevention of disease by assessing risk factors, heredity and susceptibility to disease, and by making appropriate interventions in partnership with their clients to prevent illness.
I began my journey in natural health with an awareness of how the earth can heal us and how ancestral practices created autonomy in healthcare. I began to explore how this transpired into the physicality of daily life by making choices that positively impacted my health.
My passion spiraled into a reality when moving to Auckland to complete a three year bachelor’s degree in Naturopathy and Herbal Medicine at Wellpark College of Natural Therapies. The course instilled naturopathic principles into the core of my practice whilst teaching the science and research behind lifestyle, herbal and nutritional interventions for clients.
Personal attributes as a practitioner include being non-judgmental, an active listener, empathetic, realistic, friendly and engaging.
Wellness plans and follow-ups are completely personalised to your health story, goals and stages of change. Initial consults begin with a ninety minute in-depth consult, discussing your health and wellbeing. This initial consult sets the foundations for your new wellness journey; follow-ups are to advance the plan and further educate on your health story.